If you haven't done it already then NOW is the time to prepare your outdoor spaces for the summer heat in Mallorca. As an expert in interior design for homes in Mallorca I know that a few thoughtful changes can make all the difference to your summer experience.
Follow these steps and don't forget the little details!
- 1. First things first: clean, clean, clean! Declutter the space, get rid of all the unwanted items and debris that has built up outside over the winter in Mallorca.
2. Zone out: think about how you want to use the areas that you have available, where will you eat, relax, entertain, and sunbathe? In an ideal world you would have a separate space for each, but with clever use of furniture you can double up the uses of your spaces. Bear in mind where you have shade, and think about creating it if it is missing in certain places. For example, you can combine an armchair with a pouf to create a sun-lounger, and then separate them for extra seating. If you want to try out a wide range of outdoor furniture then the best place to come is Knox Design in the Mallorca Design District (Son Bugadelles, Calvia). We keep a variety of popular furniture outside on our terrace all year round which means you can see how it copes with the weather extremes we can experience here on the island.
- 3. Be smart with your space, consider using folding furniture if you only have a small space available. If you have a balcony in your apartment for example, you can choose items which will pack away when you don’t need them. If you want to make a smaller space feel bigger try adding specialised outdoor mirrors from Knox to give that optical illusion or even to reflect a nice view.
4. Try taking your interior colour scheme outside, it makes your home feel bigger as it flows from the indoors to the outdoors.
- 5. If you are a busy bee, or not in your Mallorca home all of the time then consider getting artificial plants and flowers. Don’t be afraid to use them, they look great with no maintenance, no need to water them and you won’t come back to dead plants each time you return to your holiday home in Mallorca!
6. Shade and light… This is a crucial element to a good terrace design. There are numerous options for this, from natural shadows created by buildings or trees to awnings, sails, parasols and netting. Even if you have the beautiful natural shade from a tree, if it is a “shedder” I would recommend you look at putting a net or a sail underneath it to catch all the falling leaves etc.
- 7. Don’t forget about artificial lighting. If you don’t have any outdoor power sources then you can get rechargeable lamps which you can position anywhere you want! Some are not just lamp’s either, they are also Bluetooth speakers AND ice buckets, so versatile! You can also incorporate lighting into your parasols, sails and pergolas: so, think outside of the box. Our popular mosquito repellent candles can double as ambient lighting whilst keeping your space fragrant and clear of biting insects.
- 8. If you dread the end of summer then you might also want to extend your time outside for as long as possible by investing in an outdoor infrared or gas heater or a firepit.
- 9. Cooking outside: we’ve come a long way from the days when you would cremate a burger and call it a Barbecue. In Mallorca some of us have the option to have an outdoor kitchen with all of the bells and whistles, but if you don’t have the space and you want to cook outside you can go as simple as putting a plug-in grill on your table, or use a fondue or raclette. There are even mini tabletop barbecues which you can pack away when you have used them. It’s also a smart move in our opinion to buy some appropriate shatterproof table and glassware for outside use, you don’t want to run the risk of getting a splinter in your foot if you have an accident.
- 10. And finally,… luxuriate in your space, whatever you have, and make time to enjoy it. This is the Mediterranean lifestyle and I LOVE it!